2013 Mercer Dads
Father of the Year Essay Contest
Dear Principal and Teachers,
We invite you and your students to join thousands of students in schools across the
Mercer County to participate in the 2013 Mercer Dads Father of the Year Essay Contest!
The Essay Contest will give a voice to children allowing students in grades 1 through 12 the opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings on the topic, “My Dad’s best character trait.” Their words will help raise awareness of the important role of fathers and father figures in the lives of children.
There are many benefits to the Essay Contest:
• Students, regardless of their situation, are able to write an essay and express their feelings about their father or father figure.
• Grade-level essay winners and semi-finalists will be selected and acknowledged publicly.
• A recognition ceremony will be held on May 4th for all essay winners and their families. Our guest speaker will be John M. Heisman, author of the book: Heisman: The Man Behind the Trophy. Mr. Heisman is the nephew of John Heisman who the Heisman Trophy is named after.
There is no cost to participate in the Essay Contest and no solicitations will be made of you, your students, or families. We just want to hear what your students have to say! Will you help insure your school’s children can participate by distributing entry materials to teachers throughout your school?
The enclosed packet of information provides all you need to know about the 2013 Mercer Dads Father of the Year Essay Contest beginning with Teacher Checklist #1. You can also download this packet from our Contest web page at www.mercerdads.org
The contest officially begins Monday, March 11, 2013. All entries must be received by April 8, 2013. Essay winners will be notified by phone.
Thank you for considering this invitation to participate! Need more information?
Please go on-line to www.mercerdads.org or call the Contest Coordinator at 419-305-0347.
For the children,
Director of Mercer Dads
2013 MERCER DADS FATHER OF THE YEARESSAY CONTEST
Sponored by WCSM Radio 96.7fm and 1350am
Essay Subject: “My Dad’s best character trait.”
Have contestant write a brief essay describing the relationship with their father or father figure and what he means to them by sharing their true feelings and providing examples.
The student can include any joys, frustrations, or special memories they may have.
Finally, the student should end with a comment about what they would like (or would
have liked) to see more of in their relationship with their dad.
1. Essays should be 250 words or less, fit on two sides of one sheet of paper, be legible and written in English. Both handwritten and word-processed essays are acceptable. Word-processed entries can be submitted on a separate sheet of paper but must include complete identifying information from the Official Entry Form. First and second graders may dictate their essays.
2. To be eligible for prizes, essays must be postmarked on or before April 8, 2013. All information on the Official Entry Form must be included for each individual essay. This allows students to receive their prizes and fathers/father figures to participate in the selection process for Father of the Year. All information is held in the strictest confidence and will not be used for any purpose except the Father of the Year Essay Contest results.
3. Submit to Mercer Dads 119 E. Fulton St. Celina, Oh 45822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING:
1. How well the student describes the nature of their relationship with their father or father figure.
2. The student’s use of specific details and stories that demonstrate their father’s or father figure’s character. (i.e. honesty, wisdom, courage...)
3. How clearly and simply the student expresses his or her thoughts
4. The student’s overall writing skill.
1. Essays are divided into 3 categories (grades 1-4, 5-8, and 9-12). Local volunteers, selected by Mercer Dads, will utilize Judging Criteria and read every single essay. These local volunteers will select the top 10 essays in each category (30 total).
2. Mercer Dads board will read each of these top essays and select the top 5 essays in each category (15 total).
3. The 2013 Mercer Dads Father of the Year will be selected from the fathers or father figures of the 5 essay finalists in each category.
4. The procedure for choosing the 2013 Mercer Dads Father of the Year is as follows: Fathers and father figures in the winning essay categories will receive a questionnaire from Mercer Dads. These semi-finalists will then be personally interviewed (either by phone or face-to-face) by associates of Mercer Dads. The top five fathers and their families will receive recognition at the Celebration of Fatherhood awards ceremony in May 4th at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church 119 E. Fulton St. Celina, Ohio. Our guest speaker will be John M. Heisman, author of the book: Heisman: The Man Behind the Trophy. Mr. Heisman is the nephew of John Heisman who the Heisman Trophy is named after.
5. WCSM Radio does not have any say in the judging.
1. One entry per person. All essays must be original and created by the entrant. All decisions of the judges will be final.
2. All essays become the property of the Mercer Dads. Please make copies of your essay for your own use.
3. Entry in the Contest transfers the copyright of the essay and any submitted artwork to the Mercer Dads and will not be returnable. The author grants the Mercer Dads permission to reproduce without compensation all or portions of the essay on an unlimited, worldwide basis in its publications. Mercer Dads, when appropriate, will cite the name of the author if significant portions of a positive essay are used. Mercer Dads will also change or conceal names in published essays to maintain confidentiality where necessary or required.
4. Contest is open to Mercer County residents, except family members of the Mercer Dads Board.
5. All prizes will be awarded. Taxes on all prizes are the sole responsibility of winners.
No prize transfers or substitutions, except by sponsor due to unavailability.
Offer subject to federal, state, and local regulations and laws and void where taxed, restricted, or prohibited. By entering, participants agree to these rules and the decisions of the judges and expressly con-sent to the use of their name, photograph or likeness for advertising this and similar promotions of the Mercer Dads without compensation.
6. A list of prizewinners will be available from Mercer Dads.
2013 MERCER DADS FATHER OF THE YEAR ESSAY CONTEST
Sponored by WCSM Radio 96.7 and 1350am
OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
This form may be reproduced. Word-processed essays are encouraged. Word document
forms can be downloaded at www.mercerdads.org
If this form is not used, the information below must be included on the essay for it to be eligible.
Provide complete information.
Student Name: ____________________________________________
Student’s Address: _________________________________________
School Name: _____________________________________________
Teacher’s Full Name: _______________________________________
School Address: ___________________________________________
City: ___________________ State: _____Zip: _________
I am writing about my
Father_____ Grandfather_____ Stepfather_____ Father Figure_____
Father’s/Father Figure’s Information:
Address (if different from student): City: _________________________ State: ________ Zip: ____________________________Telephone #: _____________________________
In 250 words or less, describe in your own words, “My Dad’s best character trait.”
119 E. Fulton St.
Celina, Ohio 45822